Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Inconsistentcy

So did I mention I might be totally inconsistent at this blog writing "thing"? I know, I know, all my followers have been waiting with breath held wondering what great words I will spout next. I'm just not a very structured person. I mean, I do like things a certain comfortable way, my wife can attest to my wont to be a professional homebody. But I am terrible at making time for things. To really write, I need to set time aside. To really get to know God, I need to set time aside. To really eat, I need to  .. oh yeah I seem to be able to do that no problem. Upon reflection maybe I need to reallocate food inhalation time to writing and/or God time. I could solve many problems at once. Honestly though, inconsistency haunts me like stomach pains after eating too much for Christmas dinner. Opportunistic. Just had that word pop into my head. Maybe that's how I describe myself. I don't think it's altogether bad. We do need to grab the moments we can. Make the most of every chance. But at the same time its easy to let things slide. And I don't want to let my relationship with Christ slide. Nothing against slides. At all. Well, excpet for those metal ones on a +30 day. That's just not right. What were people thinking when they made those? On the chance all our cooking appliances fail, we all will plan to meet at the playground and serve up some hamburgers. It's an end of days thing.

On to something completely different ....

The Maple Leafs are 3-0-0-0. Wow. What a start to the season. I watched the game tonight against Pittsburgh and as a game to measure themselves by, they did alright. Top line was almost non-existent but every other line showed up and if you have followed the Leafs at all for the past few years .. that's unheard of. The third line continues to impress and the 4th line has more than just muscle. They can score and they have hustle. Mike Brown looks like a steal for the 5th round pick they dealt. Anyways, just a blurb on the team I cheer for. People that want to hear about the Maple Leafs are few and far between so I will try not to let too many words settle on the subject.

Again, something different. ....

The fire closest to him raged  in a surge that snapped his eyes alert. He felt the intensity blaze across his face and the smell of burning hair coaxed him off the floor and to a sitting position. He groaned audibly though he was certain the groan of his body made the louder noise. How long had he been out? He glanced about the dark cavern quickly. He seemed to have no eyes heavy on him. Odd. Normally in the time it took for his eyelids to close, a rod or chain or some other heavy hurtful object would have crashed across his body. Laying down was for people and we were no longer people they told us. We were "to work" and that was that. Tworks. They liked that name for us. So us Tworks worked; cracking rocks, melting rocks, and sifting out what the fires left behind. There was the treasure unblemished by flames. Find one and you had earned a rest. Such was the hitch; many Tworks collapsed and found eternal rest long before a good night's sleep. He always just seemed to be one of the lucky ones. Depending on what you thought lucky was. Always found one when he needed one. Perhaps it only delayed his time in the caverns though. He hadn't found one now in three days. Maybe this was his new lucky.

He shuffled his worn feet to the fire erupting out of the ground. Gingerly, he passed a tray of stones over the flames and watched as they broke down and drained off the tray. Sweat no longer trailed down his face; he was drenched in it; he was a trail of sweat. He coughed hoarsely as the heat trickled down his throat. He shuffled closer. Might be easier this way. He felt the stone floor burning into his leathered feet. He closed his eyes. he couldn't hold them open to oppose the flames. Just step in and be done. This Twork was finished. A smile crept across his face as he mouthed the word .. Twork.

Cool breeze. He shivered. When was the last time he had shivered? A soft breeze played across his burned and weathered cheek. He sighed as he dropped to his knees and fell back to sitting. It should have been shocking but it was good. It was comfortable. It said, relax, be at peace. It actually said that. His eyes popped open.

A blue fog filled the cavern so richly that he could no longer even make out the fire right in front of him. All his eyes could find was what appeared to be the figure of a man dressed in a cloak.

"Now is your time, my son. Your path is before you. Your stone has been melted away and here you are," the voice was rich and deep though set in a whisper. But the words delivered such authority. "Pick up your shovel; you have many stones to melt far away from here but your first lies deeper yet in these caverns. Go to him. Go to Dahr Groa."

The blue fog began to shimmer. "Even in darkness, light dawns for the upright."

Oved picked up his shovel and began to walk. The heat flared against him once again but with something less than it once had, he thought. He was supposed to go find .. him? Dah Groa? The Keeper of the Bloodsand Quarry Prison? The one in charge of keeping him trapped in this underground prison? Though his mind questioned his every step, Oved's every step set sure and soundly forward.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! Your post "Inconsistency" caught my eye because my last blog post was entitled "Consistency". It appears to be something many of us struggle with. Or, in my case, SHOULD be something I struggle with rather than just succumbing so easily!

    ReplyDelete