Monday, November 15, 2010

It is the dance.



Ok, I am going to come clean here. Oh, by the way it's me, you're friendly neighbourhood blogger here. Where have I been you ask? What have I been up to? Wow twenty questions or what. Relax already. Give me some room to breathe. You wonder why I haven't been around? So smothering.

Anyways, coming clean ... I attended ... the ballet. I know. So without a doubt you can now consider me ... someone who has seen the ballet. I mean really is it that big of a deal? I'm still a man. I can still punch you in the face. Nothing changed. Well, something changed. I actually thought it was ok. I wasn't sure I'd even have given it that at the start. But it was good. I probably just lost half my audience in that statement. Hopefully I had an even number of fans or that half a person is just feeling awful right now.

At first I was completely lost in the ballet. Not lost as in, wow I'm overwhelmed by the majestic ... no, lost as in what the heck is going on here? I don't understand what the story is supposed to be. Luckily, the story was provided for us at the start and thus I kept clinging to the few words I had. "I know his mom, the queen, is trying to find him a wife but all I see is people leaping and jumping. Stand still and just talk already."

But as it went on, I found it easier to follow and I was "getting" it. And as I relaxed in it, I began to appreciate what they were actually doing. These people are strong. They move in ways, and on toes that seems unnatural. Really, toes weren't meant to be walked on like that. Were they? And while their bodies seem flexed and stressed and strained, they are at the same time totally relaxed in what they do. At once strained and graceful. Much like me in my every day life. ha ha If there is one word that's never been used to describe me, it is graceful.

And then there is the aspect that this troup is from Russia. I find Russia fascinating. Some day I should like to travel and explore Russia; such history. This is a ballet, composed by Tchaikovsky in 1876. Did you hear me? 1876. Tell this is not a cultural event. Here is a group of Russina performers travelling Canada performing this piece of history and there is something magical in it to me. I think they might have some amazing stories to tell.

So yes, I attended a ballet. The Moscow Ballet. And it was pretty darn good.


Here is a cool ballet quote I found in an effort to form you all into more well rounded individuals:

”Ballet technique is arbitrary and very difficult. 
It never becomes easy... it becomes possible.”

- Agnes de Mille 

No comments:

Post a Comment