Wednesday, September 22, 2010

So here I am ...

What sort of post should a first post be?

I have considered the foray into blogging for quite some time before my wife finally just went ahead and created this spot and said .. here you go. Now write already.

I enjoy writing. I have for many years. But I haven't really written much for several years. I've written some speeches, some poems (awww - you know you're saying it), misc things like that but my real love would be to write a novel. A book. A story. A tale. An epic. I like Lord of the Rings, Terry Brooks, George RR Martin, Patrick Rothfuss; I like fantasy. I like to read it. I like to write it. But you can't really hope to achieve that if you don't actually write. For some reason the books don't just materialize after thinking about them long and hard. You actually have to work at it. Strange.

I guess I hope this blog will perhaps stir the creative juices in me. Inspire me to write what I know I have in me to write. Hence the title of this blog. The road has to be travelled. You can't stand back and look at the road and wish you could be at the end. You have to step out and walk. Unless you have a car, then you can drive it. But I'm going to walk and enjoy the sights and sounds. Hopefully. If the mosquitos are bad I might hitch a ride.

I don't know that anyone will ever actual read this. Well, I know my wife will. But I guess that's not really the point. The point is to forcibly make my mind operate in the writing mode and in the process rattle some ideas out and inspire great works. I actually tend to have ideas rattling around quite frequently so maybe this will be the place I jot some down. I will ignore the rest of the rattling, that's just my age talking.

So what will you read in this blog? I promise you I will be all over the map. I'm not schizophrenic. Mostly it will be about what I find interesting because, well, it's my blog.

Any questions?

Good.

Let's walk.

2 comments:

  1. Do you know Rilke's Letters to a Young Poet? He says, " I want to beg you, as much as I can, dear sir, to be patient toward all that is unsolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves like locked rooms and like books that are written in a very foreign tongue. Do not now seek the answers, which cannot be given you because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answer" (34-5). Good reading for any(one) aspiring author. Also love Auden's The Dyers Hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I really like that. That's what it is called then; Rilke's Letters to a Young Poet?

    ReplyDelete